Friday, July 10, 2009

Yesterday's testimony for Same Sex Marriage

From A Lambeth Pilgrim's blog, Tom Jackson, President of Oasis California, reflects on his ideal testimony:
They ask me: "Why do you stay in a church where you are a second class citizen?"

And I tell the truth: most of the time I am not a second class Episcopalian.

I was not a second class Episcopalian when the parish needed someone to lead a Communications Committee.

I was not a second class Episcopalian when the parish needed someone to lead an Education for Ministry (EfM) program.

I was not a second class Episcopalian when the parish needed someone to chair the Every Member Canvass, or to sing in the choir or be a coffee hour host.

I was not a second class Episcopalian when the parish needed someone to serve on vestry.

I was not a second class Episcopalian when the parish needed a new Junior Warden.

I was not a second class Episcopalian when the parish needed me to pledge.

When I asked for a blessing of my home, I was not a second class Episcopalian.

When I asked for a blessing for my loyal Bassett hound, I was not a second class Episcopalian.

Only when I asked for a blessing of my most important human relationship on earth did I become a second-class citizen in the Kingdom of God.

For the first time in my life I felt the sting of discrimination at the hands of my church, for the first time I was told to ride in the back of the church bus, and I did not like it. I do not think that Jesus lived and died and rose from the dead so this church can maintain the tradition of not marrying same gender couples.
More updates from yesterday's discussion of same sex marriage issues:

1 comment:

David said...

I feel for Tom. Enough that, if I didn't go to a pretty progressive parish, I'd tell TEC to go jump in the lake and head off for the local UU congregation :P