Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Hopes for GC77 (GC2012)

There are lots of things going on at the General Convention in Indianapolis.  It seems that the Gay Issue is not the center of things, thankfully. The budget, the Health Plan, and the Anglican Covenant seem likely to take up more bandwidth.   But let's not forget that there is still the matter of blessings for same sex couples, and of course, the whole idea of gender-neutral language for marriage.

I've written extensively about the blessings issue-- about my fears about the result being a "gay ghetto" that makes same sex couples emphatically OTHER.  Which, speaking as a married and blessed gay person, would be a slap in the face.  As we've pointed out before, we aren't "gay married", we're just married.

 For reasoned critique of the resolution and liturgy pending at GC, check out this post from Scott Gunn: Blogging blue: same sex blessings.

Rather than rehash my own arguments, I'll just point you to some of my prior posts :

The road to GC2012 goes through New York sums it up in the wake of the NY marriage decision.

A review of where TEC is and the concept of "wide pastoral latitude". In this, I agreed with those who are willing to let the process unfold--pushing it, of course, but letting the process happen.

The question of how do you bless a marriage that isn't, yet. In this post, I pointed out the problems caused by a patchwork of legal recognitions of LGBT couples, who may be married in one state, but not recognized in another; who may be recognized if they are civil unioned, but not if they are married; who may have no legal recognition whatsoever. It's why I think TEC should advocate for legal civil marriage in all states, and the overturn of DOMA, as a justice issue

In thinking about the SCLM consultation, I reflected on the argument about complementarity--and not for the first time, remarked on the REAL redefinition of marriage, which is that both partners are equal now.

I have argued quite a lot for the importance of recognizing same sex marriage as marriage, at least ecclesiastically.

Before I let you go, here's something that may amuse you.  The twitter hashtag is #GC77, and who do you think I saw using that this morning?  Why, Matt Kennedy, famous for leaving TEC with his parish over the gay issue.  I'm sure everyone wishes him well wherever he is.    But all  his posts were about Teh Gay and the decline of TEC.  Why, do you suppose, does he care about TEC OR the church's view of gay people?  After all, he left.   He's not Episcopalian any more.  And surely the obsession with things homosexual is .... unnecessary...  in his new life.

Tell us your hopes and fears for GC in the comments. 

2 comments:

JCF said...

I'm not going to inflict you w/ anymore "Titanic deckchairs" analogies, as I really don't believe TEC is sinking.

But I do wonder if all the "process talk" (budgets, restructuring and the like) are a bit, um, "auto-erotic" (there's an M word I'm not using). Or more politely, navel-gazing.

I just read President (HouseDep) Bonnie Anderson describe the past three years as a "bruising triennium". No disrespect to Bonnie, but I can't help thinking of the teen lesbian couple murdered in Texas. Poor people thrown into (essentially) debtors' prison in Alabama. Women who may have to resort to coat-hangers in Mississippi. And victims of war EVERYWHERE.

In short, there's real "bruising" happening. It needs real medicine AND the Balm of Christ.

I don't want to see TEC get too wrapped up in its own stuff, when the world Christ came to save is out there. As ever.

Counterlight said...

I second JCF's comment.

The church does have to get its house in order, but that order is a means and not an end.